Thursday, April 28, 2011

Vietnam Painting Tutorials Finished

I'm happy to say that I've finished the third and final video for Battlefront's brand new range of Vietnam figures, the M48A3 Patton tank. I had a lot of fun doing these, and at some point down the line I'm sure I'll revisit this area and look at doing more.

In the meantime, it's time to start working on my own projects- first and foremost my Flesh Tearers. Until the next post...

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

M48 Patton Done!

This is the final result of the latest Vietnam tutorial video I'm working on- the 1/100 scale M48 Patton. This time around I opted to "dirty up" the tank with my airbrush instead of using dry pigments, and I'm really pleased with the result. I also did some minor conversion work that turned out like I hoped with the "Playboy" searchlight dust cover.

You can see here that I sculpted green stuff over the searchlight in order to make it covered. It's a simple conversion I know, but I'm nonetheless stoked that it doesn't look too clumsy or out of place with the final result.

Tomorrow night I'll edit and publish the video, and then it's back on to my Flesh Tearers. Now, it's time for sleep...

Monday, April 25, 2011

Two More Done

Got two more done over the weekend, with the one on the left having the red airbrushed instead of painted on. My airbrush has been giving me a lot of headaches lately, so I've ordered a new one from the US that I hope will be here soon. I've read a lot of good things about Iwata, so I chose the HP-C airbrush they make. Should be fun to check out.

This week I have one final video to do for Vietnam, after which I'll get the last two marines done for my first assault squad. After that, I'm going to treat myself to a Furioso Dreadnought and his ForgeWorld Dreadnought Drop Pod. Should be cool :)

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Moving Back to Flesh Tearers

Well, I've finally gotten some measure of "hobby mojo" back. I'm in my hobby room on a regular basis now, working on some stuff for work (Vietnam video tutorials), as well as some personal stuff- Flesh Tearers.

What you see above is my effort towards using a backpack that suffers from a rare plastic miscast. The spot occupied by the green stuff icon was an open hole, believe it or not. I don't have any spare backpacks, so I had to figure out a way to make this one work.

When I work with green stuff, I make a habit of taking whatever leftover putty there might be and rolling it into a sausage. I leave it aside to cure, and then add it to my "sausage bag". These sausages can be cut with a sharp knife to make some very nice chips that can work as wire/cable ports, rivets, or whatever. In this case, I made some tiny radial incisions into a chip of green stuff, and then made some angular cuts to make "teeth". As you can see I wasn't 100% successful at making these even. However, be kind, this pic is roughly 500% of actual size :)

I made the blood drop the same way- carefully trimming away material from a tiny triangle cut from green stuff. I think the effect works well enough, and now I have a cool usable backpack.

I got these guys done during Hobby Night last Friday, and I hope to get at least a couple more done today. We shall see...