Monday, March 30, 2009

I missed the chicken show...

This would have been very cool to attend...

Many thanks to my Dad for finding out about this in his search (on my behalf) for the best chickens on the web. Ave Lazzydog!

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Camo airbrushed on

I just finished airbrushing the beige camo on, and the results were largely good. The only problem is that the masking tape lifted some of the paint off of some areas of resin. I scrubbed and scrubbed the resin as best as I could, but I couldn't completely get rid of the semi glossy surface. Evidently, the paint just didn't stick that well to it. Hopefully a matte varnish coat will help hold the paint down for good. We'll see...

Here's some photos of the finished masking, after spraying, and the end result. Getting close to completion! :)

Moving On

Well, since I ordered the wrong wheels the first time around (1/72 scale is a wee bit small!), I had to make another order for the ones that should actually work at 1/35 scale. These should complete the basic parts list for my first half track, and once they show up I'll get right on that again.

So, in the meantime, I've decided to build and paint my first official DKoK model for the army, a Krieg Pattern Leman Russ tank. I finished assembling the tank while running the Wild Card tournament this Saturday...

For those who have never put together a Forge World resin kit before, they're not quite as easy as a normal plastic kit. The hull and trench rails were significantly warped, so I had to soak them in boiling water for a little bit to soften it up so they could be set straight. As you can see from the picture, there were also gaps just above the rear track sections that I had to carefully fill with green stuff. The turret and air filters did not require much work other than cleaning. After taking the first pic I decided to add the vox caster from the plastic IG accessories sprue.

Since I was going to be at the factory for at least 6 or 7 hours to run the tournament, I decided to bring my air compressor and paints, and to get as much done on the tank as possible. The first basecoat was done with Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey, carefully applied with my airbrush. After this was done, I added a little XF-57 Buff to the grey, and sprayed on a highlight coat. The effect is quite subtle and doesn's show up that well in this photo. However, it looks great, and the tank is already starting to look very realistic.

I ended the day starting the masking for the second basecoat- the camoflague. I took the scheme from Imperial Armour Vol I after seeing it done in FW Model Masterclass. I think it looks fantastic for a cityfighting army. The camoflague will be hard-edged, with a dark khaki color. Once I get that done over the next couple of days, I'll make the next post. Until then, take it easy...

Thursday, March 26, 2009

A new home

Well, I've decided after much consideration that I'm moving my personal blogging efforts to Blogger, from my current "home" on Multiply. There are many reasons for this, primary of which being I find working with Blogger easier and faster. Hopefully this doesn't shrink my limited readership too much!

I've started my newest Death Korps army with a project to convert Chimeras into half tracks. This is going along ok, but not having the correct front wheels is holding the project up a bit. So, in the meantime, I've decided to start work on another vehicle. What you see below is my first Leman Russ battle tank for the army, cracked out with crazy amounts of Forge World resin lovin'...

This Leman Russ is being converted with the Mars pattern hull, DKoK engine filters, DKoK Trench Rails, and finally a Ryza pattern turret. I really love the look of the DKoK range from Forge World, and I'm expecting virtually all of my vehicles to get the "resin treatment". I should have this tank assembled by the end of the day Saturday, and I'm hoping I can get started on the paint job on Sunday. I'll be sure to post photos along the way, chronicling my progress.

Thanks for tuning in!