Thursday, July 29, 2010

I Really Need a Light Box




The picture is lousy, I admit, and it does no service to the basic paintjobs I applied to these 'mechs tonight. I need to stop putting it off and build a light box for my photography. The crappy desk lamp and a piece of paper is just not working when I want to take pics in the middle of the night.

These are the first two Battlemechs I've painted up as part of my budding renaissance into the long abandoned Battletech hobby. Kai and I are going to get a game or two in tomorrow night to re-acquaint ourselves with the rules and feel of the game. Once I know a little more I'll start painting up more 'mechs appropriate to the scenarios we want to play. If you have 'mechs of your own, and plan on attending Hobby Night, I urge you to bring them and join us.

In case you're curious about the paint jobs, they are very basic. Black primer undercoat, followed by a airbrushed basecoat of Tamiya XF-51 Khaki Drab. I then lightly drybrushed GW Camo Green over top, and then painted a couple of white chevrons/markings on each 'mech with VMC White.

I based the miniatures as a test for my planned Death Korps scheme, which in practice I can now say I like, and will be using. After applying a liberal coat of PVA glue, I scattered a few bits of GF9 Medium Basing Grit, and then covered the rest of the base with fine sand. Once that dried, I painted them GW Bestial Brown followed by a heavy drybrush of GW Bleached Bone. I then painted all of the Medium Basing Grit bits GW Codex Grey. I then finished the whole base with a light drybrush of VMC White. I painted the edges VMC Black, and finished up the models by painting on a thinned down coat of VMC Matte Varnish to protect them. When I use the method for my Death Korps, I'm also going to use shale bits for more grey rocks, as well as tufts of dead grass from Silflor. Should be pretty sweet.

If you're headed to Hobby Night tomorrow, I'll see you then. If not, take it easy and enjoy your hobby this weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Man, you're productive! it's all in the lighting, isn't it? guess we'll just have a look at the models tomorrow then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I'm definitely trying to keep the fire I caught when I painted the Iyanden army. As long as it lasts, I'm going to keep grinding out an hour or two a night and see what I can get done...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're rite dude, no offense meant but i can't see any colours on those mechs except them looking just being base-coated grey.

    Thanks for link. Looking forward to seeing your other mechs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Vindicator definitely looks better painted - I have to admit I never thought much of its looks in the past. But I bet it looks better in the flesh (metal). Sorry I couldn't make it last night...I'll have more mechs painted up for next time, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No prob dude. We'll see about getting a game in next week!

    ReplyDelete