Saturday, July 17, 2010

Almost Made it Today

Let me start by saying that I REALLY thought I was going to take 20 Wraithguard off the board today, thus breaking the proverbial back of my Iyanden army project. However, due to a perhaps ill-advised foray of normal human/husband-wife entertainment, I have failed to completely finish those dudes. Oh well- can't win 'em all.

The good news is that all 20 remaining Wraithguard are THIS close to being done. As I type this all 20 have an orange oil pin wash that is drying. Tomorrow, all I have to do is clean up any misplaced oil with some thinner and a brush or cotton bud. After that, it's just a quick matte varnish from the airbrush and the grass/leaves treatment. That will be SWEET.

The foray I just mentioned was an excellent day out with my wife Lena. We went and saw the new flick "Inception", and we both thought it was outstanding. I haven't been that impressed with a movie in a long time. I highly recommend it.

While we were in the mall (Ikea @ Curve), putting around and getting this and that, we stopped in Ace Hardware. I enjoy going there, as I like power tools, things that make fire, and sharp objects. Ace has all of these in abundance.

I always walk up and down all the isles, looking for anything that's been restocked or better yet added to the lineup. You never know when you might find something that you can use for an army, terrain piece, or even a future table project. As I walked by the varnish section, I spotted a flavor of Minwax that I have read about, but never actually seen:



Now, this is definitely something that is worth checking out. I haven't used it yet, but this shade is supposed to be black, and not a shade of brown. This could be a new variety that would expand the color palettes that could be reasonably "dipped". I'll get a test model or two done in the next few weeks, and post it up here for your review. It might be too dark to use- we'll see.

That's about it from me tonight. Tomorrow I've got some folks coming over for lunch, and I plan on cooking a mighty Mexican feast on the grill. Afterwards, it is ALL hobby, and I am going to get those bloody Wraithguard put to bed if it's the last thing I do. This army is going to get done, and if I have anything to do with it, it's going to get down BEFORE the upcoming Hobby Night. I wanna play a game with it six days from now...

2 comments:

  1. Inception was a blast! I watched the 12.50am show and I'm still baffled by the storyline and effects.
    Been a real slow day though. I tried casting bases but had problems with bubbles and the resin I bought was the opaque one instead of the white one.
    But not all is lost. Hope to make it to this Friday's hobby night with them basses done.
    Good luck with your hobby rush.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can add pigment to the resin when you cast. Why is it so important to have white resin?

    Thanks for the well wishes on my army- it's much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete