Thursday, November 24, 2011

More Avenging Sons Progress (WIP)


After writing the script for the Turn 5 update of the Ghemehaal: Annilation series of videos, I went back to my test model for the Avenging Sons. Last night after my blog post I sprayed a gloss varnish on the model (Future floor polish through my airbrush), then applied cobalt blue oil washes along all the detail areas.

Today I did the cleanup of those washes with a brush and some mineral spirits, and then highlighted the blue with a 50/50 mix of VGC Electric Blue and White. I think I'll highlight one more time, very lightly, with pure white. It should pop nicely with that. For the first time I tried a bit of weathering with some scattered "chips" of VMC German Grey, highlighted underneath with the same 50/50 blue mix.

I painted the eyes, completed assembly, blacked out areas that will be black or metallic, and then sprayed VMA Matte Varnish on the model. I attached him to the base and called a night. I love the contrast between the base and the model- they really pop, and it will even more when I do the final white highlights and finish the remaining detail. I think this project is starting to get legs...


7 comments:

  1. The blue definitely works. Looks great.

    Love the paint chips too. Just nice and not too much.

    Dig those bases dude!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys, I really like this dude too!

    I made the base masters a while back and then made a mold. I love the contrast between the bright armor and the dull/dark base. Neither is done yet but it will be this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I agree. The blue definitely works. Its grabs your attention instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally someone doing this chapter! Keep up the good work on this, oh and I love your Ghemehaal: Annilation vids. They are like that Tv show you wait all week for.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. And you're gonna post the completed model....

    C'mon man, get off that skyrim thingy and show us the completed model.

    Am dying to start a similar project :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there!

    Have you already checked out my new hobby blog, Tale of Painters? I've joined forces with Sigur and Garfy, whose models you've probably seen in various forums or on the blog on GW.com. We've got tutorials, showcases, reviews and various projects going on, e.g. Garfy posts about assembling and painting a mighty Thunderhawk!

    We've also started a new Blog Network! Join by adding a Tale of Painters banner to your blog, and your newest posts will appear in the Network widget over at Tale of Painters! A great way to promote your blog and find new readers! On top of that, the crew at Tale of Painters keeps a close eye to the Network and will present the best posts in a post of their own!

    So come over and check out http://www.taleofpainters.com, I'd be very happy ;)

    (PS: Sorry I spammed your comments to get in touch with you - if you feel offended, just delete this comment ;)

    ReplyDelete