Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hobby Report: Death Korps of Krieg

Howdy folks!

I thought I'd take a few minutes during my lunch to post up the latest hobby developments on my end. The forges of Adeptus Malaysia are firmly locked on the Death Korps.

As you can see above, I've officially started my hobby log for the army. There you can see the basic details and organization of the army, as well as the current progress I've managed (not much!). Like my previous reports, each box corresponds to a model I need to paint for the army. The color in the box tells you where I'm at with it:

White: No progress has been made on this model

Yellow: This model has been fully assembled and is ready for painting

Blue: This model is currently being painted, but not yet finished

Green: This model is finished

The letters above the boxes indicate what model the box refers to, and for the most part should be easy to figure out. Gd is 'Guardsman', ML is Mole Launcher, etc.

Last night I finished assembling the Watchmaster for 1st Squad, 1st Platoon. He took a bit of work, as I mulled over a few options to rep his power sword and melta bombs. I'll post a pic tonight, and I think you'll agree my conversion gets the idea across. Basically, I cut the side pouch off of one of my Krieg backpacks, and glued in its place a sheathed sword from the plastic Imperial Guard Command sprue. I cut the Catachan tooth/fetish off of it- the Death Korps have no desire or need for sentimentality!

The melta bomb was a bit more tricky. I ended up using the melta bomb from the Space Marine Assault Squad sprue. To attach it realistically, I cut a very thin strip of the thinnest plasticard I have. I then bent it around and looped it through the large handle on the bomb, suggesting a leather tie down strap. I then cut a chip from a 1mm styrene rod, and carefully glued the chip in place on the "strap", intending it to serve as a metal clasp or button to secure the bomb. I then glued the assemble on the Watchmaster's backpack in such a way as to make it seem the strap is coming off of the backpack. It's a simple conversion, but one that I think will paint up very nicely. Again, I'll post up a pic tonight so you can see for yourself.

That's about it for now. I'll update and post my log every day that I manage progress on this army, and hopefully that will motivate me to keep at it and get this project DONE. In the meantime, thanks for checking in with me, and good luck with whatever projects you might be working on these days...

1 comment:

  1. The conversion sounds interesting. I've always had problems with melta bombs on humans. Looking forward to the pics.